Dancing on the face of death

Yesterday, after reducing some work load from the tons of it, I with my other two colleagues went out of the office for evening coffee. While I was waiting for my coffee, I felt some procession was passing from the restaurant. I turned back to have a look at it. Dancing-rejoicing people were leading the procession and a man was beating drums like anything making their presence important. At last a van decorated with flowers was coming. The back door was open making all insides visible to everyone. I was expecting a statue of one of those thousands lords but I was wrong and I was really stunned when I perceived the actual. The van was carrying a dead body. I saw two men, whom I believe dead person’s close relative, were seating near the body keeping their head down like every thing is lost. What I saw was absolute sadness on their face and nothing else. Whatever was happening ahead of van was not at all matching with the spirit of people following the van. Even, I had no reason to believe that the procession was one.

It was Shocking !! Tottaly shocking! Later I came to know that this is common practice in Tamil Nadu (an Indian state).

No comments: